Car Shipping
Tel: 01495 320540
Mob: 07513 898320
Any Vehicle Any Port Anywhere
Ship Your Vehicle With Confidence Every Time!

A Guide to International Car Shipping from the UK

Do you have any plans to import a vehicle from the UK? A vehicle is a significant object that needs to be transported, whether temporarily or permanently, so you should make your plans according to your financial situation and final destination. This manual on shipping cars internationally will walk you through each step required to make the procedure as simple, secure, and affordable as feasible.

The statements you must submit to UK authorities and foreign customs will depend on how long you plan to export your car from the UK. It will also be crucial in identifying what documentation is needed in the UK and once you arrive at your destination.

Choosing the right shipping company

If you type “international car shipping” into Google, a ton of businesses will show up. You must consider experience levels in addition to cost and deadlines. By doing this, you may be sure that a business will export your car safely and get it through customs without incident. Check that a business has the following as well:

  • Service from where you are now to where you want to go
  • Requisite insurance and licensing
  • Solid ties to reputable third parties
  • Excellent standing and internet reviews
  • Ask inquiries and make sure you compare options if you’re uncertain so you can be confident you’re getting the best overall bundle.

Arrange vehicle documentation

When traveling internationally, there are documentation requirements that your shipping business will assist you manage. However, you should also get in touch with your port of entry ahead of time to find out what they’ll need and when. A bill of lading, proof of ownership or registration of a vehicle, an insurance certificate, a visa, and a passport are examples of common customs documents. Your company should assist you with any additional needs you might have, as well as tax and duty payments. This includes assisting with any documents you might need to complete if you qualify for tax relief or duty exemption.

Know the duration of the car shipping

The shipping process takes anything from a week to over a month, depending on the destination of the car, and your business should provide a credible estimate. Shorter hauls often take around a week. There are two options for methods, both of which affect the speed of shipping:

RoRo shipping:

RoRo shipping is the less expensive option, in which your car is driven from one port to the next, safely braced on the ship, and then driven off the ship. However, because it requires so many port stops, it usually takes longer and is hazardous because it is out in the elements and the sea.

Container shipping

The more expensive technique, container shipping, involves packing your car inside a substantial metal box and having a crane hoist it onto and off of the ship. You have the option of solo containers, which are the fastest and most expensive but offer the best protection from weather and theft, or consolidated containers, which are more affordable but slower because your car shares space with other vehicles traveling to the same location.

This decision must be made on an individual basis based on your car shipping budget and schedules because both techniques are effective and have their own advantages.

Export on a permanent basis

You must inform the DVLA if you are permanently removing your car from Great Britain. To accomplish this, you must complete the “permanent export” section of your vehicle log book (V5C), remove it, and mail it to the DVLA. Include a letter with your new address if you have relocated overseas and would like your vehicle tax reimbursed. The remaining pages of your vehicle log book (V5C) must be kept because you’ll need them to register your car in the country where you’re moving.

Please take note that the seller must give you the entire vehicle log book (V5C), not just the new keeper slip, if you are purchasing a car to drive abroad.

Export Only Temporarily

Make sure to bring your Registration Document (V5) / Certificate (V5C) with you if you are taking your car abroad for fewer than 12 months. Apply to a DVLA Local Office with form V62 if you don’t already have one. The arrival of the Registration Certificate could take up to 14 days. You must apply for a Temporary Registration Certificate if you need to travel during this period. If you are not already listed as the vehicle keeper, you should apply well in advance of your trip as there may be delays of up to 14 days in the Certificate’s issuance. This service is not free. Make sure you adhere to all applicable national and international regulations.

It’s important to keep in mind that UK legislation still applies if you aren’t moving permanently. You must still have current UK tax, a MOT, and insurance even if your trip is shorter than a year. If you only want to move your car from the UK for a short period of time, you might want to think about getting a Carnet de Passage to avoid having to give the destination country’s customs authorities a deposit. The application process for a Carnet de Passage might take up to a month, so if you plan to apply, make sure you do so well in advance. A car can typically be shipped without an export certificate, but your certificate will lessen the possibility of delays by making it clear to UK Customs and Excise who the true owner of your vehicle is.

Important Advice

There are a few more fast checks we advise you to perform in addition to alerting the DVLA that you will be shipping your automobile from the UK in order to prevent unwarranted delays and to be prepared for what to expect when your vehicle reaches its destination.

Understanding the tax implications

It is very crucial to comprehend the tax system for the nation you are exporting to, therefore never ship an automobile without first knowing the import tax you will be required to pay. Varying countries have varying taxes, spend enough time locating this information because it is crucial that you are aware of the tax that you must pay.

Look up the history of your car

Especially if it’s a new or expensive vehicle, UK customs may decide to check on any outstanding debt owed if there isn’t an export certificate. If you can secure written permission from the loan company, you could still be permitted to transport your car even if there is unpaid debt. You can prevent last-minute delays by researching the history of your car before making shipping arrangements.

At the destination, check the duty and taxes.

Your car can be delivered anywhere thanks to us! However, please keep in mind that once your vehicle has reached the destination port, you could have to pay import fees and taxes to the customs officials there. While we may help you with the paperwork required for import clearance, it is your obligation to make sure you are aware of the import laws and procedures in your country of destination. Charges made by foreign customs agencies are outside of our control. They reserve the right to impose charges and taxes.

Post navigation