Car Shipping
Tel: 01495 320540
Mob: 07513 898320
Any Vehicle Any Port Anywhere
Ship Your Vehicle With Confidence Every Time!

Vehicle Shipping Questions and Answers

The costs to ship cars overseas will vary and rates for saloons will always work out cheaper than 4×4’s by roll on/roll off. One of the advantages
to container though means that your car shipping costs will remain the same no matter the make and model. If it fits in the container, the rates to ship a vehicle overseas will always stay at one price.

We will need to have a copy of your passport (the shipper who is paying for the shipment) photo page only, a copy of the V5 document (log book). If the V5 is not in your name then we would also require a copy of the “Bill of Sale” to show that you have purchased the vehicle and now the legal owner of it. If we are transporting your car by using a Trade Plate Driver we will also need a copy of the current MOT. Full list of required documentation to ship a car overseas

Many companies will have clearing agents and custom brokers that can handle and prepare your car for international shipping, as well as, agents at the destination port who will assist you. You can opt do this work yourself as well.

Yes, each country differs, but there are doc fees and offloading fees that are charged by the destination countries. You may also be liable for import duties and taxes due in some situations. Ask for details.

It is strongly recommended you purchase an extra insurance policy. They offer full coverage, which covers all damages and shipping expenses. The insurance cost is based on the value of your vehicle with a minimum charge of £85. Fully Comprehensive insurance only applies to container shipping. If shipping by roll on/roll off car shipping then total loss insurance applies.

No more than 1/4 tank is requested, when shipping your car overseas.

When shipping overseas, First Base Freight Ltd has different options to offer you depending on your needs and budget. They can offer you container shipping, roll on, roll off, or a few other options including air. We recommend you discuss the options with your international shipper.

Only when shipping your vehicle in a container unless otherwise stated, it is forbidden to place any personal effects inside the vehicle when shipping on some roll on roll off services. The vehicle will be refused entry at the port of departure & you could incur charges for removal of items if this has not been confirmed by your shipping agent. Always ask before you deliver your vehicle to the port.

It depends on your personal choice of shipment, First Base Freight can arrange for your vehicle to be collected on a Transporter vehicle or by using a “fully qualified and fully insured plate driver” from anywhere in the UK. Or alternatively you will be supplied a shipping note and delivery instructions so that you can arrange your own delivery to the port.

We accept payments by either credit or debit card from major banks only or you can opt for a bank transfer to our bank account. (Please allow up to 4 working days for payments to clear). The balance is due before shipping or collection.

The car can still be transported but in most cases additional fees will apply because of the extra equipment and labour needed to transport your vehicle. The vehicle will need to have steering and brakes.

The responsibility lies with the owner of the vehicle unfortunately. If the vehicle breaks down due to mechanical failure then it is your responsibility to pay for the recovery charges to the nearest garage for repairs. You will still be charged for the full amount of the collection cost as the driver was not at fault. If you require a further collection after the repairs have finished, you will then be charged for a second collection/delivery charge.

You will need to pay for your vehicle shipment prior to delivering or having it delivered it to the port of departure. Once payment has been received we will send you the shipping note, the delivery address and instructions. You will need the shipping note to be taken with you to the port so please remember that you will need to print this off before arriving at the port of departure. If credit terms have been agreed with management, then payment must be made no later than one week after the vessel departure or late payment fees may be applied.

We offer a reliable trade plate driver or transporter service for saloons, 4 x 4’s, vans and trucks from anywhere across the UK every day. We can even collect your vehicle even if it is not operational on a recovery truck or a low loader with ease, if it has wheels then we can collect it! Prices will vary for the collection cost so to receive an accurate quotation it would be best to advise the postcode for collection at the time of quotation. We can even collect your vehicle from a car park at an airport or any other establishment without you being present. We simply need your written permission to collect keys from a trusted source, such as a receptionist at your place of business, etc.

Yes you will need to notify the DVLA once your vehicle has been exported out of the UK. You will need to complete section 11 (small pull out section on the back page) and post this to them. This section simply asks for the date of export and for you to date and sign it before posting. We do advise however to leave posting this section until after you have received confirmation that your vehicle has been loaded on-board the vessel.

We suggest if you still have current insurance on your vehicle after it has been delivered to the port then best to keep this on until it has been safely loaded on to the vessel. Any marine insurance policy taken out on your vehicle will only become valid the second it has been loaded on-board the ship.

Your agent such as First Base Freight will send you notification that your vehicle has loaded successfully on-board and will send you a copy of the bill of lading. You will need to look over this and check that there are no spelling mistakes whatsoever. Any wrong information on it may incur a fee further down the line called a manifest corrector. This manifest correction fee can cost anything from £65 up to £100 depending on the shipping line that your vehicle has shipped with.

Every agent is different however it is usually about 3-5 days before the vessel is due to arrive when you will receive an “Arrival Notice”. This provides you with information of the expected date of arrival in to the port, this does not mean that this is when you will be able to collect your vehicle but simply to confirm the vessels arrival date. It can take up to 24 hours to discharge a vessel and between 24-72 hours to complete the clearance process, this can depend on customs and if they request to see the paperwork for example or if your container or vehicle is to be x-rayed by the port authority. Once you have received the “Arrival Notice” it would be best practise to contact the agent (either your own nominated agent or the ships agent) and pay any monies due for arrival fees, duty and taxes (if these are applicable). The agent will then advise when your vehicle will be ready for collection. Most ports will allow between 3-10 free storage days on the quayside however if you fail to collect within this time you will be liable for extra charges, usually charged on a daily basis.

The simple answer is yes. You can nominate and authorise anyone to collect on your behalf providing that you have sent written authorisation to either your agent or to the ships agent. Your nominated person will need to take photographic evidence of themselves, so make sure that when you nominate somebody to collect, you spell their name correctly as per their passport.

To ship your vehicle out of the UK we will only ever require copies of your documentation unless you are shipping your vehicle out on a Carnet du Passage. The carnet will be the only document that we will need to have sent to us as we have to send this off to customs at the port of exit. Once customs have lodged your carnet on their system and have seen sight of this they will then make available for us to have this couriered back to you. You will need this at your port of entry where it will stamped by customs. Most countries will require original documentation when it has been imported as you will need to re-register the vehicle and unfortunately copies will not be good enough in most cases. Never ever leave any original paperwork inside the vehicle when it is being shipped overseas, either keep this with you or have it couriered direct to your nominated/ships agent to assist with the importation or registration process.